THE BANKING HALL


...ibadan, Nigeria, 14.20hrs. The sun was shining with a vengeance that could only mean it had a misunderstanding with the clouds or some galaxial sky-mate  that fateful Friday afternoon. I managed to catch a bike eventually, only to get stuck in traffic moments later. Why? The Muslims were praying, their space wasn’t enough and then they blocked the entire market road with their mats. I was livid. Whatever happened to fundamental human rights! Blocking an entire ever-busy thoroughfare in the 21st Century?...hmmm!       #i reserved my comments, for safety reasons#

Minutes later, I was grateful to feel the cool breeze as i entered my bank with one mission, collect my ATM card & escape. The queue was discouraging but envisaged. It got to my turn (after ages on my feet) only to be told by the Customer Service Personnel (most comported i’ve ever met) that my card was being ‘Pouched’ from Lagos...#my eyes grew bigger#...after a cash deduction & application for its transfer spanning two months...his explanations fell on deaf ears.

I quickly walked away before i would do something unchristian. OMG! Why did i choose this bank? I knew the answer. The No.1 reason was aesthetics. This bank has the most unique architecture, each branch dynamic , all over the country; i just loved the buildings, i think i had a crush on their architect (whoever he is)...so i opened my first savings account with them.


On this day however, aesthetics was nothing. I needed money for the weekend & i had to join another loooooooooooooong queue for an over the counter withdrawal. I was upset. I silently hoped the security man handing withdrawal sheets would dare to ask why I didn't use my ATM card instead, so i would give him a piece of mind #don't blame me, I needed an avenue to vent my annoyance, the customer care dude was too nice to pour the annoyance on#

With no one to pour the annoyance on i decided to distract myself, i began observing my environment. i wondered if banking halls around the world had our issues. I watched as people raised their hands in surrender as the metal detecting door determined the fate (to enter or not). The man behind me was toclose for comfort and when i turned to look at him, he exhaled in tiredness...Chei! his breath was as if someone forgot to seal a septic tank #it  stunk like a soak-away pit...i’m not exaggerating# . i quickly faced forward & prayed he’ll keep his lips shut   # but he didn’t , Oh No!# Lord, i prayed, ‘help me’!

Looking for more distractions i looked in front, sighted a young, 6feet, chubby lad, just two persons ahead of me. He chose the wrong day to show the ‘world’ his ugly boxers (sagging). I should have minded my business but today was just so...

So instead of giving him a piece of my mind #being so nice and civil#, I simply gave him 'the look' . I stared at him with a raised eyebrow the way those elders #back in the days# would stare at you without a word and you’d get the message. I almost chuckled at his confused look and shuffling feet #but i was ready for the drama...hehehe#. Well, our ‘Sagger’ got the message afterall, because minutes later, i had no ‘boxer-cinema’ blocking my view...hehehe

More customers had joined the queue, some left in annoyance, our ‘Snake & Ladder’ queue was getting closer to the counter, we all wanted money. One girl had the biggest and most awkward earring i’d ever seen # i stylishly took a picture ...hehehe...paparazzi tinz#.

Everyone wore a long face, both customers and the bank staff. They seemed to have the not-so-attractive staff in front and the eye-candies behind. To help their plight however #they were clearly stressed# I thought about making a suggestion to them or simply writing a note behind the withdrawal slip. It would read,

“Dear staff , why not borrow a leaf from ASUU and declare a workers strike, so the management would deem it fit to open more branches in Bodija and save us all this trauma. Think about it. Yours truely. Annoyed Customer.”

 I didn’t write the note #i had no pen with me...lol# but resolved i had to take a picture of this banking-hall quandary. #and that i did# It is a true picture of life today. We are all on a journey, sometimes confusing, yes! Traumatic, depressing, time-consuming; Some people get tired of the process and break-off mid-stream...but you, you must keep your eye on the goal. In the banking hall our goal was the money, but in real life our goal is eternity with God.

#Press towards the mark for the prize of the high calling in Jesus Christ#
Are you in the Banking-hall of Life? One way in;one way out. Choose you course. Whatever happens, do not miss your goal, Eternity in Heaven. Choose Jesus, He’s the Way.


Yours truly,
Beryl

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Media: Good or Bad???

mY SuIcIdE NoTe